- I am working on a series articles about the current upward explosion in commodity prices. This article will require me to compile, analyze and synthesize a ton of data.
- This small blog presents links to easily understand charts of the prices of various commodities from 1999 to the present, starting with oil, which is the first link below.
- Interestingly, the start date for the rapid rise in oil prices is almost exactly the starting date of the invasion of Iraq: March 13, 2003. There is no evidence that I am aware of at this time that it any way establishes a causality relationship between the two phenomena, but the chart sure is interesting.
- Other links are to charts of prices of rice, wheat, corn and soybeans.
- This is the first of the series of articles alluded to above.
- [Don't be afraid of charts, they're easier to understand than my writing.]
Price of oil 1999-2008. Starting date of the Iraq War: March 13, 2003
Dow bottoms approx. March 13, 2003
Price of corn 1999-2008
Price of Rice 1999-2008
Price of Wheat 1999-2008
Price of soybeans 1999-2008
S7P/Case-Shiller Home Price Indices, Feb2008